“IF ONLY I KNEW WHEN THE LAST TIME WAS GOING TO BE THE LAST TIME…….
I would have put off all the things I had to do.” A very powerful lyric from the Casting Crowns song, Scars In Heaven.
Hearing this song, in light of hearing the news of my dear friend Dr. Garry E. Milley, who passed away in his sleep this past week, was what inspired me to write this blog for you today. Dr. Milley was my professor, a mentor, and dear friend, and I pray you are encouraged, as I share some golden nuggets from our interview, that I always PLANNED on sharing.
HAVE YOU EVER SAID, I WISH I HAD...
Anytime I think of a life ending for any reason, I thing of all the things I WANT TO SAY and DO. And I wonder if the person who passed, had done and said all they wished or hoped for in their life. But, knowing Dr. Garry, he PROBALY DID. OR came pretty close. He was a Dr. of Theology… plus.. plus…, MTS, MA, DMin, an author, retired pastor, he was a prophetic voice in this “truth seeking world,” and he had a passion for beauty, and became a photographer. So many layers and talents to this amazing man of God, and I’m sure there’s lot’s more that can ba added. If your reading this and you can add to this list, message me or leave me a comment. Be he also was…
- He was among the many who called me “smiles” in college.
- He was among the first at my side when I was rush to the hospital.
- He helped me write me VERY FIRST article.
- He endorsed my book – I think it was mostly to ensure I had “SOUND Theology” and correct spelling. haha
- He was a very intelligent man who spoke with eloquence, but yet he was humble and full of grace.
- We TALKED about collaborating and encouraging each other as equals, which was a great honor for this, “I don’t got good grammar Newfie.”
So to all who knew Dr. Garry, I want to send heartfelt condolences. To all his family and ALL his friend’s, I send my love and support covered in prayer. AND SHARING WITH YOU AN INTERVIEW I WISH IS DIDN’T PUT OFF!
WORDS OF LIFE!
Dr. Milley gave a beautiful endorsement for my book contagious courage, but also has golden nuggests of wisdom for you that I trust you’ll be empowered by today.
“Vahen guides the reader through deeply moving autobiographical vignettes of
how she triumphed over being diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis. Paralyzed from
the chest down just after college graduation, she faced insurmountable struggles.
Her inspirational story is one of victory. Using reflections on biblical characters and
selected scriptures, she helps people work through the pain of disappointment and
heartache. Time and again, Vahen exhorts us to never stop praying because prayer
is “the key ingredient” in the Christian life. I think of her as Canada’s Joni Eareckson
Tada. Her book will be a blessing to you.” – Endorsement
PIAN GIVES YOU THE AUTHORITY TO SPEAK!
Dr. Garry also reminded me of a very powerful quote by the great reformer Martin Luther. He said one of the qualifications of a great pastor is pain. Pain gives you the authority to speak. Pain gives you that empathy for others. He acknowledged God’s strength in me and thanked God for giving me the courage and determination to push through my pain.
He acknowledged that pushing through pain is a daily surrender and not just a one-time thing where when you choose courage once and you can walk smoothly on a road without struggle. Or on a yellow brick road as he puts it.
He acknowledged that I had the authority to speak. And that authority was given by the Lord, but also given to me through pain.
So, I pray that you will take these words to heart. And if you are walking through pain today, that you ask God for the strength to push through into full healing and freedom. Trust me I speak from experience when I say, that when you rely on God for everything you need, he gives you the strength to fight, the courage to obey and authority to speak.
A GOLD NUGGET YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS!
IF I HAD ONLY KNOWN...
So to all who knew Dr. Garry, I want to send heartfelt condolences. To all his family and ALL his friend’s. To his beautiful wife Christine Milley. I send my love and support covered in prayer. And share this interview I wish I HADN’T PUT OFF! OR WAS IT GOD’S PERFECT TIMING??? But that’s another blog. lol
What things CAN you put off, to do that things you CAN’T put off?
- What WORDS NEED to BE SPOKEN?
- What forgiveness to you need to extend, OR receive?
- MAYBE it’s a book to be written?
- Is there a much needed vacation to be taken?
- A dream waiting to be fulfilled?
- Maybe a _____ ?(you fill in the blank.)
- WHAT CAN YOU DO TODAY BECAUSE YOU “NEVER” KNOW?
Here are a few suggestions
- “Do all the good you can,
- By all the means you can,
- In all the ways you can,
- In all the places you can,
- At all the times you can,
- To all the people you can,
- As long as ever you can.”
– John Wesley…
"IF ONLY I KNEW WHEN THE LAST TIME WAS GOING TO BE THE LAST TIME..." I would have put off all the things I had to do.
SCARS IN HEAVEN- CASTING CROWNS
JOIN THE COURAGEOUS GIVING COMMUNITY TODAY!
- Pray – for me and the Going Farther team as we continue to grow, and spread the message of hope and courage.
- GIVE – If you wish to help Going Farther continue spreading the message of hope and courage, please consider a one-time donation or by becoming a monthly supporter.
SHARE – Invite or refer me to speak at an upcoming conference/retreat or community event. Via zoom.
If my videos have encouraged you, I’ll also invite you to share with your friends, and help me with spreading the message of hope and courage.
TOGETHER – We can GO FARTHER!
Thank you for supporting me and the Going Farther mission. Now to Him who is able to do WAY MORE than we could ever HOPE or imagine, take care and God bless!